Sunday, November 4, 2012

Windows 8 installing experience



So, I tried installing windows 8, the full version, on my laptop.

This is NOT a review, I am not writing this to tell people how windows 8 is. It's just about my installing experience and my feelings. (And the first hour afterwards).

The first issue - installing is very quick (every windows version kept installing faster and faster...)

Second issue. Even though I did install the beta before, I forgot it asks you for your phone number, in case you 'lost your password', etc. This will start so much controversy. I do not think it's mandatory, but still, it happens.

Then, it asks me so many options about a lot of features I do not want (if you select that you don't want defaults, that is).

Then, it says that I'll have to wait for 'a few minutes' on a screen that constantly faded background colors. FUUUUU - it looked so bad, luckily I could just ignore it and look at this other computer's screen instead.

Windows is installed! I am taken into the metro interface, which I'm used to from the beta. It's ok. But when I click 'desktop' I realise everything looks worse than in the beta (the theme has been simplified again. I think it looks much worse than the windows 7 one. Plus that the way borders and things are made now will force you to get a desktop background that fits (the older ones look like shit now).

What? Where is Aero? No more transparency on the taskbar... One color...

Visually, it's surely a step backwards. I want my transparency back :( I just read an article about this (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/microsoft-drops-aero-glass-ui-in-windows-8/) and... well, if you are interested, read for yourself. It's an interesting read.

That's all for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment